11 Common Glassine Questions Answered
Change is always challenging, but when it comes to transitioning out of your plastic packaging, it can be especially hard. Your customers see your packaging before they see your product, so that package needs to look good, provide an enjoyable opening experience, and most importantly, protect your product.
We offer several options for companies looking to switch from plastic to eco-friendly packaging, but glassine is a popular choice for many reasons. Whether you’re a seasoned packaging industry professional or a business owner looking for packaging solutions for your new product, you may have questions about glassine, including its durability and how you can use it to package your product. In this post, we hope to answer some of your most popular glassine questions and provide insight into the chemistry behind this unique packaging material.
Is Glassine Durable?
Yes, glassine is exceptionally durable! As people explore it as a substitute for their plastic packaging, they often ask is whether or not it can withstand the rigors of a fulfillment or retail operation. We have several customers who have used glassine packaging for various products, including apparel, intimates, jewelry, food and so much more. While we would always first recommend testing, glassine has proven to withstand typical distribution processes.
It’s also moisture and grease-resistant, making it a common choice for food items, paper goods and various apparel items such as t-shirts, undergarments and swimwear. In addition, for medical items requiring regulatory compliance, glassine packages can be sterilized.
10 Other Popular Glassine Questions
To help you better understand what makes it such a popular choice, here are answers to 10 of the most common glassine-related questions we receive:
- Can you print on glassine? Yes, the entire glassine package is your canvas! Our technical experts have mastered the craft of printing on glassine. You can litho print on it with any design or vivid color, including full-coverage printing, without any smudging. Rotogravure, offset, flexo, and digital printing are also available.
- Is glassine eco-friendly? Yes, our glassine pouches, envelopes and bags are curbside recyclable and biodegradable, making them a great alternative to waxed paper, plastics or films.
- Can you see through glassine? Yes, glassine is translucent, which means that it is not completely clear like a window pane, but it allows you to see the general outline of the items.
- What types of closures and seals are available? Whether you’re looking to create a fun opening experience or keep your product safe, we can help you design your glassine package with a variety of closures and seals. You can apply perforated tear strips, easy-open notches and heat-activated adhesives to accommodate almost any application.
- Can glassine be used for food? Yes, glassine is food safe. It’s grease-resistant, so it works well with baked goods, chocolates and cookies. Keep small items like powders protected with a heat-activated adhesive.
- Can you sterilize glassine? Glassine is a great substrate for medical applications as it can be sterilized for safety.
- Is glassine water-resistant? Glassine is water-resistant, but it isn’t fully waterproof.
- How do I know glassine won’t tear? Glassine works in many applications, but if there are questions, we will work with you to conduct strength testing to help ensure the integrity of the product in whatever application you need.
- Is there a specific size for glassine? From t-shirts to electronics, beads to small electronics, we can custom-size your glassine for any product or application and further customize with a wide variety of closures and adhesives.
- Can you use glassine for storage? Because it’s pH neutral, acid-free and largely non-porous, glassine is ideal for storing items like art, photos, stamps and other items that may discolor with exposure to air.
A Special Process: What Makes Glassine So Durable
Despite its increased durability, you can still recycle glassine in any curbside recycling program.
Glassine: A More Eco-Friendly Packaging Choice
Like plastic packaging, glassine is extremely flexible. Unlike plastic, it offers a more eco-friendly packaging solution because it’s made from renewable resources and can be easily recycled. With a variety of printing options, closures and seals and custom sizing, glassine offers a blank slate for your next eco-package!
Do you have other glassine-related questions we haven’t answered? Contact one of our team members to learn more about how glassine can provide a plastic-free alternative to your packaging needs!